- The first celebrated US Labor Day was on Tuesday, September 5, 1882 in New York City, planned by the Central Labor Union.
- 10,000 workers marched from City Hall all the way to 42nd Street and then met with their families in Wendel’s Elm Park for a picnic, concert, and speeches.
- Canada is said to have originated the idea of hosting a day honoring the labor movement. In 1872, they held a “Nine-Hour Movement” to show support for striking workers.
- There is disagreement about who actually proposed Labor Day as a holiday. Some say it was Peter J. McGuire, who was the cofounder of the American Federation of Labor. Others believe that it was Matthew Maguire, a machinist.
- Oregon was the first state to celebrate Labor Day as a legal holiday in 1887.
- The decision to make Labor Day the first Monday of September was approved on June 28, 1894.
- Labor Day started as a part of the labor union movement, to recognize the contributions of men and women in the US workforce, but modernly is seen as a chance to celebrate the last weekend of summer.
- Americans worked 12-hour days seven days a week during the 19th century!
- The Adamson Act was passed on September 3, 1916 to establish an eight-hour work day.
- Historians say the expression “no white after Labor Day” comes from when the upper class would return from their summer vacations and stow away their lightweight, white summer clothes as they returned back to school and work.
- There is still a Labor Day parade in New York City, which takes place throughout the 20 blocks north of the 1882 labor march.
Posted by Bold Apps on
Let customers speak for usfrom 687 reviews
Amazing packaging and liked the note touch inside of the package made it just that much better, will definitely come back for some more patches
When I ordered this patch I wasn't expecting this kind of quality! I was also surprised with a sticker that as it turns out perfectly describes a co-worker (perfect gift for him tomorrow).
I immediately returned to the website and purchased more!
*You guys should look into poking fun at AF pilots! I would love to hand my dad something of yours when he either retires or puts on 0-6*
Title says it all. Great patch and it even came with the opposite side of the velcro cut out in the exact pepe shape incase you need to sew it on something without velcro already attached.
This is an awesome item to add to anything!i put mine on my work bag! It's hysterical
Great product. Definitely worth it!!! The level of caring from the seller makes this deal! Will buy from again!
Absolutely love this bracelet! Truly epitomizes the pride in supporting the men and women in blue!