Your Cart

What is non-infrared night vision called?

Posted by /u/t2r2smh2 on

PLEASE NOTE - reposting since original got deleted because of no flair. u/68Vodka thanks for your comment letting me know those are expensive - saw it before post got deleted. But reposted in case anyone else had any more advice.


Not military related, but was hoping someone here may be able to help.

Was looking into buying a night vision device for my dad as a gift so he can see wildlife when walking around the hills at his cottage at night.

All the devices that I'm seeing in my price range of about $200, seem to be infrared (IR). I can't seem to find one which amplifies natural ambient light (from stars and such) and produces that greenish image. I don't know what the term for that technology is ... does anyone know? So I can Google for that kind of device.

The reason was looking into that is because of images that I saw on the internet, it seems that that technology shows more of the landscape/environment etc. Whereas in the IR one only the animal/wildlife seems to pop out and the landscape doesn't have as much definition.

Thanks a lot on advance!

PS, if my understanding above is wrong, and IR would be more suitable, please let me know.

submitted by /u/t2r2smh2
[link] [comments]

What Others Are Reading Right Now